Your $1500 in donations got me here and let me do amazing things volunteering at this NGO...now I'm trying to raise $575 to come home after 15 months! Make a donation (every dollar helps!) and read all about this unexpected adventure I've had. Thank you for your endless support!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hola!

If you're reading this, I probably told you about my plan to spend a year abroad in Peru and Colombia and how I'm raising $2000 to do it. Thank you for checking out my blog! Please feel free to share it :)


Here's my plan: For years I have dreamed of traveling abroad to Latin America, and now I finally have the perfect opportunity! I will be leaving for Peru on October 30th to spend 6 months volunteering with Traveller Not Tourist, a fantastic non-profit organization in Arequipa, Peru. This organization runs an orphanage and a school that I can volunteer with and make a huge difference for at-risk and impoverished children. Their website is very informative, http://www.travellernottourist.com/index.html and I encourage you to check it out.
After my 6 months in Peru, I am going to Barranquilla, Colombia to volunteer with Shakira's foundation, Fundacion Pies Descalzos (Barefoot Foundation, in English). Its mission is to have poor, at-risk, and homeless children get an education and proper nutrition to give them a chance to escape poverty and thrive. The website, http://www.fundacionpiesdescalzos.com/en/home.html, has information about their projects.


Where your money goes: In Peru, I will be living in volunteer housing, which costs $200 per month, and the rest of my living expenses will cost no more than $200 per month. Any money over $2000 will go towards my time spent in Colombia.


How to help: If you want to sponsor me, click on the donate button on the right hand side of the page. It will take you to the Paypal website but you don't need to sign up for anything, just follow the directions on the screen. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hola Julia!
    I heard about you a year or so ago from Virginia, I'm a co-worker of hers. Wow, I'm totally fascinated by your commitment and determination to make a difference in the world. Virginia had told me about your desire to go to Latin America and teach English, and in return you would learn Spanish and the culture. Because I’m from El Salvador, Virginia asked me if I knew how to help you connect with someone, or some organization in El Salvador. Sadly, I told her that I couldn’t think of anyone, but that there are some international organizations (like the two you found) Shamefully, I told her that I wouldn’t recommend any one to go to El Salvador because of the high index of criminality. I told her that I would always be afraid and would forever feel guilty if anything happened to someone that I would recommend to go to El Salvador. As I read your blog, I was like wow! Here I’m sitting on my couch, in the comfort of my home in Federal Way, WA just harboring fear for the evil that unrest my old country and the world, while you are out there, “opening doors” in unknown territories. Wow! That’s admirable. It takes a courageous, determined, and fearless girl like you to change the world, and for that, I support and I’m sponsoring you. It’s the least I can do. Que Dios te bendiga y proteja, siempre.

    ReplyDelete

Followers