Your $1500 in donations got me here and let me do amazing things volunteering at this NGO...now I'm trying to raise $575 to come home after 15 months! Make a donation (every dollar helps!) and read all about this unexpected adventure I've had. Thank you for your endless support!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Day-to-Day in Arequipa

FINALLY! I am here in Arequipa, volunteering and loving every day. I've been here for four weeks now. I am living in a house with 11 other volunteers who either volunteer at the school or at the orphanage. For this first month, I have been volunteering at the orphanage, which means I work from either 7:30 AM-12:30 PM or 1:30 PM-6:30 PM. More on exactly what I do there later! Everyone in the house gets along so well and I am having an absolute blast. There are three Americans in the house now, the rest are from England, Wales, Ireland, Australia, France, Holland, and Taiwan. We speak only English at home, so I'm not getting a ton of Spanish practice. The work at the orphanage can be trying (but rewarding) and then to come home to my family away from home makes it so much better. If we're not working on preparing curriculum for the school, we're watching bad movies and eating cake (which is available on nearly every street corner). It's kind of like a very productive version of living in the dorms.

Here's our backyard:


Very funky living room with a chimney that we have yet to try out:


Really doesn't feel like prison, but it does look like it! I'm used to the bars on the windows and the giant fence in front of all the houses here.


Indoor fountain illustrating exactly how funky this house is:


On the walk into town I pass by the Palace of Justice (pretty dramatic way to say courthouse) which has this art and benches in front, and you can see Misti, the volcano, in the background.


This is a cathedral I pass on the way into town. The sky really is that blue every single day here.


Across the street is the Mario Vargas Llosa (born in Arequipa) Library.


I love the way these buildings look together. The teal one is a chicharroneria, which is one of my new favorite words. All it means is chicharron store, but it's so fun to say!


That previous photo was taken from this little park right in the center of the city where I like to sit and eat ice cream sometimes.


This is my street, on the way to the corner market where I buy bread every day.



Here's a picture of us on Thanksgiving. There were only two Americans in the house then, and only one of us was omnivorous, so I was in charge of the turkey. We ended up getting chicken. I made stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, orange ginger carrots, and green beans. It was nearly everyone's first Thanksgiving and it was a rocking success!

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you got to help prepare the first Thanksgiving for so many! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers